Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Picking up the pieces after a gardening hiatus

Well, I have not blogged in some time because I have not been gardening for some time.  But I got started back again last weekend. 

One thing I had to admit is that with homeschooling and all of my other activities, I didn't have time for as large of a garden as I had.  I also wanted my beds pushed together, so that there weren't spaces between them to worry about.  I had eight 4' by 8' beds.  When I tried to move them, I realized many of them (the non-cedar ones) were rotton.  I had to get my superhusband to help me, and now I have three 4' by 8' beds all in a row, no spaces in between, and superhusband can mow around all of them.  (Before, I had put mulch around them to keep the grass weeds out, but this proved to be a lot of trouble and expense to keep up.  I'd rather just pull the bermuda grass out.  Or at least we're going to try it.) 

I've used my cardboard weed barrier technique to plant 2 of my remaining beds, and one is ready to be planted.  I also want my superhusband to help me put in one additional bed. 

That will give me half the space I had last year, and I don't think it will affect my harvest.  Last year was a disaster, with me not having time to water or weed, and a lot of my garden died in mid-summer.  I'm going to take care of the space that I have, choose my plants very carefully, and try not to go overboard. 

Plant addiction is no joke. 

No comments: